Our Chief Executive Nick Read has laid out his strategic intent for the Post Office for the next four years. There are seven strands to his intent, the first one being build strong, trusting and rewarding relationships with Postmasters.
We have a created a new Postmaster Director role at Post Office and our preference is to appoint a serving Postmaster to the role, (whether as an individual, partner or director) or management responsibility for a branch or branches. The successful candidate will focus on bringing the Postmaster voice into our day-to-day business, leading on meaningful and well-coordinated Postmaster engagement which is critical in building and shaping mutual value and genuine franchise partnership with all Postmasters.
This new role is intended to be a full-time role and we will look for the best candidate with the right skills and experience, the full eligibility criteria is provided below. The role of Postmaster Director will be one that we expect to exist into the future, to be occupied by a succession of candidates on 18 month fixed-term contracts, with the intention of broadening opportunities for Postmasters and helping to introduce new perspectives from the Post Office network. The Postmaster Director role will be of interest to anyone who meets the criteria and wants to play a pivotal role in helping to deliver the vision for Post Office in 2025.
The Postmaster Director role is different to the Postmaster Non-Executive Director roles. The Postmaster Director is a full-time employed senior leadership role. The successful candidate will have executive accountability for delivering specific objectives and targets. More detail can be found in the role specification.
The successful candidate will report to Retail and Franchise Network Director, Amanda Jones. A short video from Amanda explaining more about the role is below.
We have developed the eligibility criteria to help us find the right person with the relevant skills and experience.
Post Office Limited is a large and complex organisation. We want the successful candidate to be set up for success from day one, which is why we will commit to providing coaching and development to support the individuals’ needs.
This is a senior leadership position and so it is important for applicants to have some experience of working in a corporate environment so they will already be familiar, and comfortable, with how to effectively influence and drive change in a large organisation.
The criteria is set out below, and is also available on the job description.
- Have a minimum of 18 months' Postmaster experience (whether as an individual, partner or director) or management responsibility for a branch or branches in the last three years
- Preferred experience of at least 2 years' working in a management or head office role in organisations outside Post Office (ideally in a corporate environment)
- Experience of delivering successful outcomes and effective engagement and influence of stakeholders in a complex matrix environment
- Experience of sound financial and commercial acumen demonstrated through evidence in the application
- Strong, engaging communication skills evidenced by the strength of the application
- The candidate must be able to commit 41 hours' a week service to the Director role over the 18 month fixed-term.
- This is a remote working role and the successful candidate will need to be able to travel to Post Office sites as and when required.
How to apply
Please view the full job description, eligibility criteria and apply for the role here on our corporate recruitment website. Please note, you will need to create an account if you wish to apply for the role.
As part of the application process, interested candidates will be asked to submit a personal statement, of no more than 500 words, to highlight how their experience, skills and achievements meet the criteria. This will enable applicants to provide more detail to complement their CVs which we will also ask you to submit in the application process.
Applications submitted will be sent to Maloney Search, a recruitment agency, who are supporting us with the recruitment for this role to provide independence to the process.
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 7 July.
If you have a question, or would like an informal conversation, please let us know by completing this form here and we’ll be in touch.